Saturday, September 05, 2009

Further Ramblings

Here's another one from Arches. It may not be one of my 'better' shots, but I really like it.

Once again, it has been awhile, and it is not because I have not been in the mood to write. Every time I have tried lately, my thoughts have dried up and I find myself staring at a blank screen. I think part of it has been the lack of any movement on the job front (more on that later) and the imminent exhaustion of my unemployment benefits. Other than that, I really cannot put my finger on why I have had this case of writer's block. It's not as if I am addressing an audience that spans the globe, so there is no pressure there to say something profound every time I write. Maybe it's "just one of those things."

Getting back to the job comment; I did have a first and second interview last week with a former employer. No, I am not going back to the place that just let me go. I am, however, possibly returning to the place I worked five years ago. There are people there who like me and know that I do good work. I do not have an offer yet, but I am hopeful. It is not my ideal job, but it is employment and Merilee and I need me to have a job. I should know for sure next week. I really hope I get it.

In the meantime, I continue looking and applying for anything that seems even remotely possible. That includes a park guide position at Capitol Reef National Park. That is one job that would be amazing, as far as I am concerned. If I had realized how important the national parks would become to me, I think I would have majored in something that would have improved my chances of working in one of them. Still, I am a pretty good fit for this one; I'm just not a perfect fit, and that has kept me from consideration at a couple of similar positions I have applied for. I can think of few things as pleasant as working in Capitol Reef every day. Photographing it for a living would be one of those things, but that is not likely in the near future.

If I do get this job, one nice thing about it is that I will get some time to get used to the idea of working again as it does not start until Oct. 5. I have been out of work almost six months. I have not had many outside demands on my time. I have gotten a bit used to doing what I want with my days. I keep reminding myself that this will allow me to do more of what I want; I just have to schedule it again. Unemployment has made things like camping impossible due to the costs. We will now be able to go occasionally (Arches in October, hopefully). For that I will be very thankful.

For now, I keep my fingers crossed and I keep a word in the ear of the Big Guy. If this is what I need to be doing at this point in my life, I hope I get the job. If not, I hope whatever it is I am supposed to be doing comes along real soon, and I hope I can have an understanding heart. This has been a tough time and I would welcome it's end.

It's getting late and I should probably wrap this one up while I am still making sense. One final note: BYU 14, Oklahoma 13 in the new Cowboys stadium in Dallas. Who'd a thunk it!

2 comments:

Knotim said...

Hey Baby, I am sorry you have writer's block, that is no fun. I am hoping you get Aetna or Capitol Reef though. Either way, maybe we should do something instead of camping, we will have to consider...

Knotim said...

Hey Baby, if the computer will actually post this it will be a miracle. Sorry to hear about your writer's block. We need to find something to do other than camping that will get us out of the house and into nature without costing an arm and leg. I hope you get one of the jobs you recently applied for. You are the best.