Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Brief Entry After A Not So Brief Absence

It has been another long time away. So far this year has seen Merilee and I trade off being sick for most of February and March, our first shot at spring camping canceled due to weather, and our landlord's water heater spewing water throughout our laundry room and living room as it went through its death throes, resulting in much labor and inconvenience for us. Needless to say, while there may have been much to talk about, I have not often been in the mood to do so. Even this brief description of the past months brings up more frustration than I bargained for. I have found myself envious of people who love what they do for a living and exasperated by people who seem to prey on the good natures of others. I have felt great sorrow over the lack of regard some people have for things that are irreplaceable and more than a little anger at those who would distort the truth or resort to pure fabrication in an effort to get what they want. These months have been more conducive to rants than anything constructive, so I have stayed away from collecting those thoughts. There were times I sat down intending to unleash my latest round of frustration here, only to walk away certain that what I would say was probably best left unsaid. I say this much only by way of explanation.

Now that I have that out of the way, we are relieved that the government decided a shut down was not in the country's best interest because our trip to Zion National Park next week will not be canceled as a result. The weather looks like it will be ideal so far, and we are looking forward to this chance to get away and rejuvenate a bit. I find myself needing to commune with nature. We shall see if it comes to pass. The way the year has gone so far, I will not be certain the trip will take place until the tent is up in our site in Zion. I try to look at the positive side of things, but we have had to deal with so much negative that it is hard to get past.

So I look at this entry as a new start, of sorts. I am trying to put the last 12 weeks behind me and look forward. Wish me luck. Better yet, wish me success and pleasant trip.

No comments: