Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Paying For Others Mistakes

Fair warning...this is a bit of a rant on my part. This morning I was driving home and a truck hit the back of my car. It was snowing, the roads were bad, but that is no excuse for what happened. I was behind two other cars turning left when the light changed to yellow and we all began to turn. At that moment, northbound traffic was stopped in the inside lane and no one was coming in the outside lane. As I am turning, a 16-year-old in a big Chevy truck decides to try to get through the light. He darts into the outside lane and speeds up. Now, I was almost through my turn and the light had turned red before he ever hit me, but thanks to Utah laws, I am the one who gets cited for failing to yield. This kid flies out from behind other traffic, runs a red light, is going much too fast for conditions, and I am the one who is at fault simply because I was turning left. It is totally absurd. Now I have to deal with the cost of repairs ($500 deductible), the cost of the citation and the rise in my insurance. The damage to the truck amounted to a flat tire. My car, just a Ford Focus, has the right rear almost completely destroyed. Needless to say, I am more than just a little upset at the injustice of it all. If he had been coming when I started making my turn, I would have stopped, but he wasn't. It's just so wrong. The kid only turned 16 back in October! To make matters worse, I still do not have a job and I have no idea how I am going to pay for all this. I am very frustrated. The only good thing is that my insurance company is moving very quickly and I could have my car back before the weekend if I can figure out how in the world I am going to cover the deductible. When it rains.....

No comments: