Thursday, April 30, 2009

Job Hunt, Week 6, Day 4


This is Tower Falls at Yellowstone. I decided that I would include some photos in my posts just to liven things up a bit. It really doesn't have much to do with the post itself. It's just something nice to look at.

Today I applied for two jobs; one I am probably over qualified for that does not pay very much and another that I am barely qualified for that would be comparable to what I was making before. I am almost at the point of trying for just about anything. Unemployement keeps us off the street, but it barely gets us by, so there is an ever-growing sense of urgency to get a job. Pickings are pretty slim these days and I find myself taking chances on jobs that I have little chance of getting just in case I can beat the odds.

I have been doping a lot of my searching while at the library and I have noticed something that has me shaking my head a bit. It amazes me the people who will talk on their cell phones in the library as if they were at home in their own living rooms. I have heard one side of conversations that never should have taken place in public, let alone in a setting where they can be so easily over heard. It is like people are so accustomed to talking at home that when their cell phone rings, they seem to be transported into some virtual private space where they believe they cannot be heard. When I am at the library, my phone is on vibrate and let calls go to voice messaging because I do not want everybody there knowing my business. I even heard one guy sitting right behind me discuss his company's payroll, including the banks they had accounts in and the people that had to be paid, along with the amounts of their checks. It just boggles my mind that someone would discuss that kind of confidential information right there where anyone can hear.

Next week the job hunt will take some time off. My wife and I were going to go to Zion National Park last weekend, but with high wind warnings (gusts up to 60 mph!) making setting up a tent and cooking virtually impossible, we decided to try for next week. So far it looks good. I could sure use some time hiking and enjoying nature to help rejuvenate. Hopefully, this time will work out for us. Then I will have new photos to post.

No comments: