Sunday, June 07, 2009

Fun With Facebook


This is a petroglyph from Arches National Park. It is one of my favourites in the area. I may post more petroglyph photos on my Flickr page. There are many in the Moab area if you know where to look.

This last week I did something I did not think I would ever do; I got on Facebook. I have never been much for the social networking site thing and I did it mainly to try to get more exposure for my photography. I never anticipated the number of people who would list me as a friend. Most of these people are classmates from high school who I have not spoken to in more than 26 years. Some of them I had completely forgotten, sadly. Others were more acquaintances than friends, really, but it has been quite interesting to see what they look like now and what they are doing.

The best thing to come of this recent experience is I have managed to get in touch with one of the best friends I have ever had. We lost touch after he graduated and while I was going through my divorce. It was amazing to actually talk with him on the phone the other day. The years seemed to disappear and it was like were talking back in college. I sincerely hope we are able to stay in touch this time. I know I will do my best to make certain we do.

Another interesting thing about Facebook is the fact that this site could become a life stealer of epic proportions. Just from those who I have added as friends and who post regularly, I find that if I do not check back once a day, I have so much new information to go through that it takes up quite a bit of my time. Since I have nothing but time on my hands at the moment, it is not a problem. Once I get another job, it will definitely take a back seat. The sad thing is it has not done anything to help my photographic asperations yet as far as I can tell.

No comments: