Monday, September 12, 2011

Passing The Century Mark, In A Manner Of Speaking

I did not even notice this until after I had posted last night, but yesterday's post marked the 100th. that may not seem like much, but considering my track record previous to this year (or even last month), it really is quite the accomplishment. At this rate, the next 100 will not take me near as long. It is even possible I could do it before the year is over, though I am not sure how long I will keep up the daily entries.

I saw something on posted on Facebook by Pioneer Book in Orem that was more than a little disheartening. Apparently, Ikea is now making its Billy bookcase deeper, and even moving towards having glass doors. The reason? Ikea suspects that people will not be using them for books as much anymore. Apparently the writer of the post Pioneer linked to thinks that "dead tree books", as he calls them, will soon be a thing of the past, starting with paperbacks. I, for one, sincerely hope he is wrong, though the demise of Borders is definitely not encouraging. I love books. One day I hope to have written one of my own. I have seen e-readers and even have a couple of free ebooks on my phone, but I enjoy holding the book in my hand, the smell of the paper, turning actual paper pages, and seeing them lining my walls. Books are one of my truly big weaknesses. Best of all, you can read them without electricity. I really like my electronic gadgets, but they will never replace my books.


No comments: