Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Night Lights

Tonight, for the first time since....well, high school...I went to a high school football game. Our neighbor coaches at Timpanogos and their first game of the season was at Lehi tonight. It was the perfect excuse to go out and watch some football. It was a lot of fun, even though Lehi won (it never hurts to have a little help from your friends in the zebra suits), and I am sure we'll go to see more games. I look forward to the ones when it starts getting cool in the evening; real football weather.

The game brought back a lot of memories for me. For one, if I had casually strolled up to the line of scrimmage like Lehi's center did, my butt would have been getting splinters from riding the bench. I remember how much fun it was to play and how focused I used to get on what was going on around me on the field and nothing else. I also remember playing a game against a local 3A school we had never beaten and promising myself that their star linebacker would not make a single tackle when he was my responsibility....and he didn't. We didn't lose to them that year. The game ended in a tie, but it was as good as a victory for us, the pesky little 2A school. Ah, the glory days of my youth.

I really enjoy football and this is the first game I have seen in almost three years. We don't have cable or satellite TV and have not had them since May of 2009. That has made it a bit difficult to watch any football. It is one of those things I used to use to kind of escape for awhile, and I do miss it. Knowing how much my wife dislikes television has been a big reason why I have not tried to get it back, but who knows; maybe this fall I'll break down and sign up again. Probably not.

No comments: